Thursday, January 22, 2009

I feel so rejected!

Probably because I was. :-(

What do you think? (Anyone who happens to find this by accident!)

Reference Photo

My Painting 

I have been participating in Karin Jurick's fun challenge site since the 1st of September, 2008.  
It has been the single most influential source of my beginning to paint on a regular basis again. 
It got me started and I have looked forward to every week, 
each new challenge, all 15 of them so far. 

But, this time my painting was rejected and so I was despondent all day. 
It did not look enough like the photo. 
(Actually, it was more like..."it didn't resemble the reference photo in any way.") That's Karin...straight to the point. And, that's what I have really appreciated about her all along. 
And today, I went back and read her words she posted on the blog this week...especially "#3. work every day at it regardless of the applause because that's what ultimately improves your work."
Anyway, I have to agree with Karin, that she has to make this decision every time and  there are people out there that would interpret that exception such a deviation from the photo as an invitation to go much further afield...
Look for me out in front on the next challenge, though!!

Boring stuff- for painters, only:
Granted, the building itself in the photo didn't do much for me.  However, the way it was lighted from the interior with the light spilling a little did, very much. I also liked the dark trees against the purplish sky wrapping around to frame the sky and memorial. That was what I was going for.

I was trying to think of a building around here with columns that I could relate to more easily, and the only thing I came up with was the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem (mosque) - which I cannot go to. Then I remembered that silly kiosk from the sketching the week before and tried to use that from the same angle and placement as the Memorial. I thought I had gotten the lighting and the composition down (and added people because that is what I do. Paint random people.)



0 Responses to “I feel so rejected!”

Post a Comment